Tuesday, December 27, 2005

Rolfing

So I have been going to the local Rolfer (should it be capitalized?) for the minimum 3 sessions (last one today, maybe try to get the other minimum, 10, in before I leave) with the last one today...

It is very interesting bodywork... they basically use their elbow to get into deep connective tissue... well you can read a bit about it here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rolfing
and here:
http://www.rolf.org/

I am pretty sure it has made a difference, I seem to stand taller and feel lighter... it is too early to tell if the Yoga is better because I have been taking it easy after pulling a muscle in my side...

Anyway the rolfer I have been going to (Ken) uses a scale from 1-10 for pain... where 10 is excrutiating (actually he defined it differently, but I can't remember it so this is the gist)... I usually hope he stops at 9....
It is all a personal tolerance thing, and he says that you can relax into it... or even breath into it...

Anyway, the other day as I tell him it is at 9 and 9 1/2, I realize he hasn't eased off (ok at 9 1/2 he may have, just a bit) so I asked him what was the point of the 1-10 scale if he doesn't listen anyway? He said he noticed that I tolerate 9 for ten seconds, so he keeps going that long!

Today I was really late for a session... took a nap and then he called asking me if I was coming or not! I ended up receiving a 40 minute session (not sure how long it is normally, probably an hour) and basically suffered the pain... I got the idea that if I didn't the session would not have been 'complete' due to time constraints... I did ask if he wanted me to do another session to make up the lost time, but he said no need... :)

He told me to do some * 1/2 Sun Salutations (both A and B) to help the nervous system since he didn't have time to do the 'finishing' stuff.. fair enough... I do so enjoy the mini Sun Salutations, so I went home and completed 5 of each... nice :)


* 1/2 Sun Salutations are just the standing parts of the salutation without jumping back...

No comments: