Monday, June 04, 2007

Point and Shoot for trip to Vancouver

I spent hours on Sunday debating whether to purchase a new digital Point and Shoot camera. In the end I concluded that all of the cameras have one or more must-haves - they either lack RAW mode, too large or too small etc. Top pics were Canon G7 and... well that really was the top pic! Unfortunately it has some problems for me:
1) It is Canon. Not that there is anything wrong with Canon, it is just that the camera accessories must be Canon - so all my accessories will not work.
2) Lack of RAW mode. Sorry this is a clincher. Burning the final image into a compressed lossy format isn't for me.

In the end I think I will take the Nikon D70 with one lens and Nikon 35Ti
Here are two web links referencing the 35Ti:
http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/companies/nikon/htmls/models/compact-images/Nikon35Ti28Ti/Html/index.htm
http://nikonimaging.com/global/products/filmcamera/compact/1990-1994/35ti_quartz_date/index.htm
There are a few reviews on the web. Retail was about $1000 used I paid maybe $300-$400. I am not sure now what the price would be.

Oh.. the pictures are really amazing! People compare the camera to SLR quality!

Well the camera isn't made anymore. It is a film camera and more of a Rangefinder than Point and Shoot (meaning more than anything that it requires some manual override to really appreciate its full ability).
So I will be buying and testing some film this week before the trip.
Thankfully we can still buy film.

No comments: