Wednesday, September 05, 2007

iPhone in the UK

NOTE: This is information I gleaned from an AT&T representative; from what I hear, the information can vary depending on which AT&T representative you speak with... So.. your mileage may vary!

Here is a good one.. (something that is all over the Internet, hopefully this clarifies the issues)

I will be travelling to the UK for a few days (I leave on Friday and return on Wednesday) - I want to take my iPhone and use the data feature...
To summarize: Without a plan I have heard of nightmare $3000 bills. With a plan at a minimum it is $200 (which gives 20MB of data per month). This would involve the early termination fee. From what I can estimate, 20MB is not very much data at all, especially if you are using the map feature to navigate London all day! Anything over this is 1/2 cent a MB. If iPhone was considered a luxury before.. now I am not sure what to call it.. AT&T ripoff? Nah surely not...

Before the gory details: go here and watch the movie - it is hilarious!

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/fyi/how-to-avoid-a-3000-international-iphone-data-bill-285966.php

Here are the gory details (that I was informed)

(800) 335-4685 is the number to call to activate any International features.
International data plan $24.99 month with a 12 month minimum. It is $175 early termination fee. This plan includes 20MB a month. Overages are .5c per MB. Voice calls are charged at $1.29 a minute.

There is an additional service called world traveller. It is $5.99 a month and does not have a minimum contract. Voice is then 99 cents a

Without a plan the cost is 2 cents a KB.

No comments: