Sunday, October 23, 2005

Eighth Ashtanga Practice

While AYRI is closed I went to Yoga Mandala to check out their classes. Normally studying at another Ashtanga school is forbidden by AYRI (penalty: you lose the rest of your month's money and get 'kicked out' of the school) but this should be no problem since the main shala is closed (what exactly am I supposed to do for practice, self practice? Nope that is why I am in Mysore - to take classes so hopefully when I return I will be able to self practice, I know that self practice isn't going to happen for me at the moment) and I am studying with Saraswati who did not ask me to sign the AYRI contract that states you can lose your money etc.
So with that out of the way.... the classes are taught by a Mr V.Sheshadri (http://mandala.ashtanga.org/) a student of BNS Iyengar (not to be confused with BKS Iyengar) - (BNS Iyengar studied with Krishnamacharya)
Yoga Mandala itself comprises several rooms, one of which is used for Asana practice. The room seems to hold about 13 students plus the teacher, his son, and an assistant (who is going through the certification program). All three provide very (to extremely) good/powerful adjustments, of which one needs to experience to believe!
From what I can tell 'Sheshadri' (as all the students refer to him) does not stop anyone from skipping asanas that they cannot complete. This does not follow the normal 'Mysore' style of practice (where the teacher will request you to stop your practice and complete the 'finishing' asanas when they feel that you cannot progress further)
When I attend a Yoga class I will follow the 'rules' of the teacher, so with that in mind (and a spirit of 'how far can I go anyway') I stood at the front of the mat and waited for the class to begin.
The first difference I found was that Sheshadri begins the class with a chant that is quite different to the AYRI chant. After the chant is completed the second major difference is that he leads the class through several Sun Salutations counting the Vinyasanas... at some point he either lets his assistant continue for another salutation or two or he says "continue" or something like that (at which point we are all on our own).
To cut a long story short, I skipped a few major asanas (but did manage some asanas I have never before attempted - often with the help of the teacher or assistant) and 'finished' the primary series!

No comments: