Sunday, October 30, 2005

No practice

Today is Yoga Mandala's day off (Mysore style Ashtanga is where you practice six out of seven days; each Shala (and sometimes each teacher within the shala) decides which day is the 'no practice' day, usually Saturday or Sunday.

I woke up late today, very tired. I think the late practice keeps me up (so much energy until about midnight each night).

I went to Tina's for breakfast.

I met some students @ AYRI buying a video. The video is a demonstration of Sharath being lead by Pattabhi Jois in many asanas from each of the Ashtanga series. The documentary was filmed in New York and is about 45 minutes long. From what I hear, it is very inspirational, and only 1000 rupees.

Anu's cafe is closed until November 4th, however they are serving Chai and Chocolate Pies, so lunch today was a Chocolate Pie (I can't keep away from them, they appear quite by magic, I swear).

In the afternoon around 3pm, I received an Ayurvedic massage. The massage left me itching (maybe the oils that are used? I will have to check with a teacher) but very relaxed and calm. There are several positions that I was put into that resembled Yoga asanas. The experience was quite new to me as the only massage I have received was a Western back massage in Florida (which was I hate to say, nothing much to talk about): I will definately sign up for another Ayurvedic massage while I am here.

In the evening I visited Gokul Chats. I ate two Masala Dosas. The dosas are a bit smaller than the ones in Florida, but they are 100% more satisfying, with none of the heavyness I often feel after eating them. There is also none of the ultra hot spicy stuff that is normally served in the US.

No comments: