Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Showers in London Heathrow Airport

I have found that there are exactly two showers (for men) located at Heathrow airport... neither of them work. Mind you the showers aren't exactly easy to find anyway, one tucked away in Terminal 4 by the arrivals gate (I mean, who ever would want to shower after arriving?) and the other was in Terminal 1 or 2 or something - I really can't remember...
Nevertheless, since both showers are not working (well one was definately broken.. pipe issues, the other just said "not in use") I was told "Sir, you can probably visit the Hilton to shower, let me find out" very helpful... sure enough they (the woman helping me and actually using the phone, and the man standing behind her looking rather official, as official anyway as a Heathrow airport Info person can look.) told me that it would be only £5 to use the Hilton's gym's shower only, or £10 for the use of the gym all day... fabulous... oh and all I have to do is go upstairs, cross a corridor (which joins the Hilton to the airport) and I am there; Plus I can use a cart all the way! hahaha not so quick...

So here I am with a 55 lb of backpack, 8kg secondary backpack (don't ask why one weight is in lbs, the other in kg...) and a sticky mat.. to boot... well ok, it wasn't that bad, I used the aforemnentioned cart for most of the journey.. even still... the corridor (after about 3 minutes) proudly stated that I have 6 minutes of walking, 4 minutes of walking etc... I arrive at the door to the Hilton... the automatic swivel sorta door, that although an Airport cart may well navigate - it really detracted from the effect of the hotel.. so I get rid of the cart... down the stairs (I did mention stairs?) and into the gym (I was told "No lift for the gym, you must walk...*wrong* but I found out too late) where I am informed that I must pay £10 for 1 day gym membership, there is no such deal of shower only...
Well by now I pretty much was commited - there was no way I was going back after all this...
The shower was fabulous...
I also met a Punjabi man- we had a chat about Yoga and meditation - he basically subscribes to the need to start Yoga in the early morning (4am, 4:30am etc) otherwise it loses its effect the later you begin in the day.

I also went for tea upstairs at the restaurant.... it was nice... a bit overpriced (imagine that for a big name Hotel in London)

No comments: