Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Fifth Ashtanga Practice

I may just stop writing which # practice I am on, but it is good for me to keep track... hmmm

Todays practice was good, though I am still very tired after the fifth Surya Namaskar B. I did remember the first two poses today, and only managed to switch the leg balancing pose with the half lotus forward fold pose. Saraswati spotted this error (of course after I completed it, so I had to do the correct poses and then the half lotus forward fold again...)
I am jumping ahead a bit... the tricky asanas for me are still the sideways Stretch (Prasarit Padottanasana) especially variation C and do where I must bring my arm behind me (c) or grab the toes (d) *and* forward fold... basically I have to gently ease my head to the floor (easier on the previous variations where the hands are available to do so), almost impossible on c & d variations... so after attempting all four, I had to wait for Saraswati to assist.
Saraswati keeps telling me to fold closer to my body ("not so far out!") and this time (because I do not have the flexibility in my back) I could tell my head/neck was being pressed back... oh well it was only for 5 breaths, probably will not hurt me eh?

Saraswati let me continue to seated asanas today. I am beginning to see a pattern, introduce a few asanas, then allow those to deepen before introducing the next. I was able to complete the seated forward fold (West extension Posture Paschimatanasana) of which there are three variations. I was also told to complete Upward facing posture (East extension posture - Purvatanasana)
http://www.ayri.org/primary-asanas.html
I completed the padmasana series (I really have to make it the tightest (ie really bring the knees in close) padmasana ever to be able to bind.

No comments: