Saturday, November 26, 2005

Bangalore Trip!

A friend and I decided to take the 11am train to Bangalore (actually to be frank, it was her idea)...

I rushed to make it to the train station after practice... and then found that she was running late anyway!....

I hadn't eaten breakfast so I grabbed some nuts (hey now I don't mean it that way) and boarded the train...
On the train, the 'conductor' saw a drunk boarding the train... pretty quickly he told him to get off... the drunk begged and pleaded with him, to which the conductor physically slapped him and pushed him off the train! OK the train was at the station so it was not so bad... but for me this was the first physical violence I had seen since, well atleast the beginning of October, so it was quite shocking really...
There were several vendors on the train (ok people walking up and down the carriages) I waited too long to buy the Samosa (wasn't sure of train food) but then gave in and bought some fried fritter thing for 8rs for 2).

The express train (120 rs for 2 people in reserved class) took about 3 hours to reach Bangalore... once there we took a rikshaw to MG Road... MG Road is a big shopping area where everyone seems to go... we walked up and down the road, checked movie times (one of the big reasons to go to Bangalore was to see a movie) and then ate at a decent restaurant... (ate a veg. biryani & roti if you were wondering)

After that we visited a berister (sp?) outdoor coffee shop where I had one of the worse donuts of my life - luckily the coffee was really good... (first coffee in ages....mmmmm)

Next we went off to the Forum mall to visit the Apple store... checked the prices of iBooks and found them to be a few hundred $ more than the US cost for the basic model and then disproportionately rising from there :(
The mall itself was quite amazing compared to anything I have seen in India (actually it was quite amazing if compared to American malls) - there was a seperate floor for the movie theatre with executive rooms set aside for who knows who... and a store called Landmark that sold DVD's, CD's and VCD's (video cd's) as well as stationary, perfume, books and a whole lot more.. I bought 2 pens to replace the one that leaked (which I did end up getting to work but then ran out of ink or something). I also bought... well never mind... let's see who is reading this and is eager to find out eh? ;)

At the mall I ate a Paneer wrap which was not so good....

Since we wanted to catch the 9pm train home, the movies were all showing too late... we ended up going back to the train station only to find that there was no 9pm train at all!
We caught a bus around 8:45pm and arrived in Mysore @ 12:45am!

No comments: