Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Thirtyfirst Ashtanga Practice, and day of payment

Around 5pm it was time to pay Saraswati... I was told it is 17000 rupees for the second month (don't ask why it is cheaper the second month, the explanation didn't make sense).

Saraswati told me that Sirsasana (headstand) should be held for between 5 and 15 minutes and that eventually the head should be lifted off the floor just high enough that a piece of paper can slide underneath it. I asked if that is the case for students in the main shala (I didn't think we could stay in an asana that long)... yes indeed 15 minutes in the main shala for Sirsasana.

Quote of the day "I did A+B satisfactorily" when asked by Saraswati if a student (same one as yesterday) had completed the asanas correctly... the people in the room I think almost feel out of their asanas laughing... too funny :)

The practice...
When I walked into the room at about 8:15am my glasses immediately fogged! There were not even many students in the room, the air just had not cleared out... so glad that I do not practice in the earlier sessions (with Guruji) because of this... I do not know if I would be able to breath...

Knee was sore today, barely managed to bind first side of Marichyasana D (with Saraswati's help), in fact I just managed to touch my fingers.
Saraswati moved me to the front of the room when it emptied (you basically take whatever space you can get)

Saraswati told me after class to take more time with Kurmasana... 1st let the legs out and arms to the side, then deepen the asana *before* pulling my arms behind my back (it was as if I was rushing the asana to get to Supta Kurmasana... this makes the final asana less deep...)

Today I was not able to balance with Shoulderstand in the Pindasana postition (hands bind the Lotus posture and pull the legs down towards the head...)

It is raining today...

I left the bicycle that I have been renting at Anu's to be collected by the person who rented it to me... I haven't ridden it other than to fix it (at my expense, but 5 rupees really isn't much money), there really isn't anything wrong with it, I just have been travelling with others using Rikshaws and splitting the cost with them... so I hope to get 2 weeks worth of money back (250 rupees - $5.55, I know it doesn't sound like much but when in India this is a lot of money...)

I picked up the bicycle later when I talked to the rentor because I wouldn't get my 250 rupees back without the receipt, and so I felt it better to meet him personally tomorrow...

I ate another North Indian Thali at Green leaf cafe today (they are that good) (lunch)

A friend cut my hair today... I just can't trust the barbers here I don't think. This is because I have curly hair and barbers may not know what to do with that (since most Indian hair is straight).... The haircut came out pretty well... (same style, just trimmed a bit)

No comments: